Evelyn Lehman Culp Heritage Collection
The Evelyn Lehman Culp Heritage Collection, managed by the Nappanee Public Library, tells Nappanee’s story through displays and rotating exhibits inside the Nappanee Center. Main attractions include “Hoosier” cabinets, a tribute to six nationally-known cartoonists, Emma Schrock Art Gallery, an Air Force One display, and the John Hartman House.
Nappanee Center Programs
- 12/25/23 Nappanee Public Library Nappanee Center
The Evelyn Lehman Culp Heritage Collection
Located at the Nappanee Center, 302 W. Market St., Nappanee, IN 46550. The Heritage Collection has over 45,000 items related to Nappanee History. The collection became an official branch of the Nappanee Public Library in 2020.
The Doug Grant Family Gallery
In 2020, the Heritage Collection added the Doug Grant Family Gallery, home to over sixty Emma Schrock paintings, to the collection. Emma Schrock, known as the “Grandma Moses of Northern Indiana,” is well known for her vivid portrayal of Old Order Mennonite farm life. View the collection here.
The Historic John Hartman House
The Historic John Hartman House was built in 1888 for John and Rebecca (Peters) Hartman and was designed by resident architect, Henry Frazier. Four rooms are currently open to the public, and the entrance is located inside the Nappanee Center.
Hit the Pavement in Historic Nappanee Walking Tours
Along Came Nappanee
The Architecture of Henry Frazier
Demolition, Destruction, & Revitalization
Entrepreneurs, Pioneers, and Trailblazers
Homes of the Kitchen Industry
Plays, Opera, Fables, and Frolic
Innovation in Nappanee
Evie’s History Bytes Podcast
Last Wednesday, Monthly
Chime in each month as Martha and a guest dig into all kinds of Nappanee History.
New episodes are released every month.
- Martha is joined by Mark and Karoline VanDiepenbos to talk about how to properly take care of tombstones and graves.
- Martha is joined by Larry Wagner to talk about the Nappanee Centennial Celebration.
- Martha is joined by Maynard Miller as they talk about Nappanee's Apple Festival and its history.
- Martha is joined by Denny Martin to talk about Martin's Hardware and Phil Lehman to talk about Lehman's Hardware.
- Martha is joined by Rob Lehman, a Nappanee native and President Emeritus of the Fetzer Institute.
- Martha is joined by Dale Tobias to talk about his career as a photographer.